The Margherita pizza holds a special place in the hearts of pizza lovers all around the world thanks to its straightforward yet delectable combination of fresh ingredients. This traditional pizza, which hails from Naples, Italy, honours the tastes of tomato, mozzarella, basil, and olive oil.
If you want to make this famous meal at home, come along on a culinary adventure as we share our exclusive tips for preparing the best Margherita pizza.
What is Margherita Pizza?
Pizza Marinara, pizza Margherita Extra, and pizza Margherita are three of the most popular Neapolitan pizzas in Naples, Italy.
The use of fresh, all-natural ingredients, a delicate, thin crust speckled with golden brown bubbles, and a higher proportion of tomato sauce than cheese are some traits shared by each kind.
The toppings for a traditional margherita pizza are san marzano tomatoes (both sauce and sliced), fresh mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. After baking, the pizza is finished with a drizzle of olive oil. After that, add salt and black pepper to taste.
This pizza slice is simple to create but has the appearance of a fine restaurant slice thanks to our handmade pizza dough. Give it a try because it is undoubtedly one of my favourites!
Rao’s Homemade Margherita Pizza Sauce
- Bring home the famous taste of Rao’s with this 13 ounce jar of Rao’s Margherita Pizza Sauce
- ALL NATURAL, PREMIUM QUALITY: Rao’s Homemade Pizza Sauce is a premium, well-balanced sauce perfect for homestyle pizza anytime
- INGREDIENT FOCUSED: Rao’s pizza sauce is a delicious combination of whole Italian peeled tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, basil, oregano, onions and garlic slow-simmered together.
- NO ADDED SUGAR AND 100% ITALIAN TOMATOES: Rao’s pizza sauce contains no added sugar*, and only includes 100% Italian tomatoes making it the perfect carb conscious pizza sauce to add to your pantry.
- HOMEMADE AND VERSATILE: Make every day delicious with Rao’s. Enjoy Rao’s keto friendly pizza sauce with any pizza crust you prefer. Its great consistency pairs well with traditional or even cauliflower crusts
- Try our other delicious Rao’s Homemade pasta sauces like our classic Marinara or our delicious Tomato Basil.
Ingredients You’ll Need For the Pizza Dough:
To craft the perfect Margherita pizza, gather these high-quality ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
The Margherita Pizza Recipe
This traditional margherita pizza recipe is unquestionably excellent.
PREP: Set the oven’s temperature to 500°F. While the oven is preheating for at least 15 minutes, we like to use a pizza stone and place it in.
DOUGH & SAUCE: If you’re going homemade, make your own pizza dough and sauce. You can skip this step if you’re using store-bought products for both.
ROLL: On a surface that has been lightly dusted with flour, roll out the pizza dough to a diameter of 14–15 inches.Before adding sauce and toppings, fold the outer edges of the pizza dough in if you prefer a thicker crust.
PIZZA STONE: If using a pizza stone, swiftly but carefully transfer the dough to the stone, top with the sauce (leaving some around the edges for a crust), tomato slices, cheese slices, and pizza seasonings, and bake.
SHEET PAN: If a stone is not being used, you can place the rolled-out dough on a baking sheet that has been lightly buttered. Add the sauce, cheese, and toppings after that, and bake.
BAKE: When the crust is brown and the cheese is melted, bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes after rotating the pizza. Olive oil and fresh basil leaves are used as a garnish.
How to Make the Best Margherita Pizza
AKE OUT Perforated Pizza Peel Set
- Complete Chef’s Set: Whether you are a professional baker or you simply love pizza, the Bakeout pizza tray set includes all the pizza accessories you need to transform basic ingredients into mouthwatering food that will make everyone ask for more!
- Perforated Pizza Peel: Our pizza turning peel features a perforated shovel, specially designed to ensure even baking and prevent the dough from sticking for easy turning.
- Aluminum Pizza Screen: This pizza set includes 2 pizza screens made with high-quality aluminum metal screen mesh which is rust-resistant and extremely durable.
- Professional Pizza Cutter: The stainless steel pizza cutter is sharp and effective at cutting the pizza in one smooth rocking movement but this pizza blade can also be used for chopping, cutting, dicing, or slicing vegetables, salads, pastries, and desserts.
- Multifunctional Dough Scraper: Featuring a durable stainless steel construction, this pastry scraper is sturdy, easy to use and very sharp.
Use premium ingredients: Because the Margherita pizza is so straightforward, choose the best ingredients you can. The important ingredients are San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and aromatic basil.
Don’t Overload: With Margherita, less is more. resisted the urge to overdo the toppings. Its simplicity is what gives it beauty.
Get Your Money’s Worth: Good dough is the foundation of a great pizza. Don’t rush the kneading, and give it time to rise.
The Best Equipment: For the ideal, crispy crust, make an investment in a pizza stone or baking steel. They aid in even heat distribution.
Hot Oven, Preheated Surface: To guarantee a flawlessly cooked pizza in minutes, make sure your oven is as hot as it can be and warm your pizza stone or baking sheet.
Use fresh basil leaves for a flavorful and aromatic boost: To keep them fresh, add them right before serving.
Making the ideal Margherita pizza is an art form that honours simplicity and highlights the diverse Italian flavours. You can prepare this traditional dish at home with the correct materials, a little practise and the help of this recipe. Roll out the dough, gather your loved ones, and enjoy a homemade Margherita pizza that is truly a culinary masterpiece.
What makes a Margherita pizza different from other pizzas?
Margherita pizza is known for its simplicity. It consists of tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, and a drizzle of olive oil. The key is using high-quality ingredients and showcasing their flavors.
Can I use any type of tomato sauce for Margherita pizza?
While you can use any tomato sauce, the best results come from using San Marzano tomatoes, which are known for their sweet and less acidic flavor.
What kind of cheese is best for Margherita pizza?
Fresh mozzarella cheese is the traditional choice for Margherita pizza. Its mild flavour and creamy texture go well with the other ingredients.
Do I need a pizza stone or baking steel to make Margherita pizza?
While a pizza stone or baking steel can help achieve a crispier crust by distributing heat evenly, you can also use a preheated baking sheet as an alternative.
Can I make the pizza dough in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the pizza dough in advance. After it has risen, you can refrigerate it for up to 24 hours or freeze it for later use.